Print lives. A new look for the HEU Guardian
With a 66-year history of continuous publication, The Hospital Employees’ Union Guardian stands out among union and labour newspapers in BC.
Working Design’s Kris Klaasen has had the honour of working in various design and consultation capacities with the paper for 25 years.
A newly designed Guardian has just been launched. Kris was part of the project team which included HEU graphic designer Elaine Happer and Guardian Managing Editor Patty Gibson.
The new version features:
- Full colour throughout on matte paper
- A reorganized content structure
- The introduction of several new sections such as Throwback: HEU History, Working for You (short profiles on union staff), It’s the Law (an expanded section on legal rights and issues) and Facebook Feedback (excerpts from the union’s popular Facebook page).
- Original icon drawings for various sections of the publication
- Several design and content tweaks to make the paper more visually accessible.
Since 1991 HEU’s communications department has been a consistent winner at the CALM Awards – Canadian Association of Labour Media – not only for the Guardian’s design but its articles as well as other initiatives such as advertising campaigns, and union campaign materials.